Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup

Slow cooker beef and barley soup


Don't forget your slow-cooker liner!  You're welcome. ;)

1. Start with a 2-lb chuck roast.  For flavor, I bought a fatty one...I trim that off later after it's cooked.



2.Add four 5.5-oz cans of tomato juice.


3.  Add one can of beef broth.
 

4.  Add 3 tbsp soy sauce.

 
In case you're like my husband, YES, I've washed my hands.
 5.  Salt and pepper.  To taste.  Sorry I didn't show you the pepper...I just shook it directly into the pot.


I normally would have a yellow or white onion, but I made kabobs the other night and had purple onion left over.
 6.  One small onion, chopped. 



7.  3-4 ribs of celery, chopped.

 

8.  About a cup of chopped carrots.

 

9.  Three cups of water.
10.  Set to low and cook for 8 hours.  I'm not going to lie...I set mine to high and cooked for about 6 hours...that meat was ridiculously tender for having done so.  I'm crazy like that.
 

11.  Once cooked through, remove roast, trim fat, and shred.  Add shredded beef back to pot.
12.  About an hour before you're ready to eat, add 1 cup of quick barley.
 

13.  Season with some dried parsley and thyme.  You know, to taste.  


This makes a pretty generous heap of soup...about six healthy bowl fulls.  If you divide it six ways, each bowl should be just about 25 carbs each!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! All comments are moderated. Differences of opinion are just as welcome as those more like-minded. The only thing that will prevent a comment from being published is disrespect or ugliness. God bless you, and thank you so much for stopping by!