Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Creamy Potato Soup



Last week, we had a few relatively cool days, and I was really craving potato soup.  It's been ages since I've made this staple of my youth, so I played around a bit with my mom's recipe and I really loved the way it turned out!  I don't really measure anything, and I'm pretty heavy handed with seasoning, so for this recipe, I've given a range of certain ingredients.  You really can't mess this recipe up, so season to taste!

4-5 cups of water
1 chicken bullion cube
4-5 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, chopped
2-3 tbsp butter
1-2 tsp celery salt
1-2 tbsp parsley (I use dried)
1-2 tbsp chives
1 cup milk
1/2-1 cup instant potato flakes
salt & pepper to taste
optional garnishes:
shredded cheese
bacon bits
sour cream
chives

In a large pot, bring water with bullion cube to boil.  Add chopped potatoes, onion, butter, and celery salt.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Add parsley and chives, and continue cooking until potatoes and onions are tender.  Add milk and allow to return to simmer.  Slowly stir in potato flakes, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until desired thickness is obtained.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add desired garnishes, then serve.


This makes four heaping bowls of soup, which I estimated to be around 40 carbs each.  Being almost purely potatoes, though, this has a pretty high glycemic index, so not necessarily the best dish for diabetics, but it's delicious nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! All comments are moderated. Differences of opinion are just as welcome as those more like-minded. The only thing that will prevent a comment from being published is disrespect or ugliness. God bless you, and thank you so much for stopping by!