Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Book Review:: The Weight of Silence


Our local library has a section of voided books that are for sale.  Every time I'm in, which is about once every other week, I end up buying more books than I borrow.  I mean, they're only fifty cents!  Anyhoo, this little gem was in my last pile, and I'm not going to lie, I bought it because I loved the cover art.

I truly loved this book.  It was incredibly genuine, and I immediately related to each of the characters in one way or another.  Each chapter was written from the perspective of one of the primary characters of the story, and it was refreshing to switch between those points of view.  The story was suspenseful, endearing, and heartbreaking all at the same time.  I read the entire book in three short sittings, which I attribute mostly to the fact that it was mostly written in prose.  Very good read...I recommend it!

The plot of the story:  two first-grade girls disappear from their homes in the middle of the night, unexplained.  One of the girls, Calli, is a selective mute, having witnessed a devastating tragedy when she was four years old; the other girl, Petra, her best friend, is her voice.  As the story unfolds, fingers are pointed in every direction, especially towards Calli's abusive, alcoholic father.  Glimpses into each person's experience keep you guessing the entire time you're reading this emotional roller coaster.  The novel ends with a very realistic, yet hopeful tone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! All comments are moderated. Differences of opinion are just as welcome as those more like-minded. The only thing that will prevent a comment from being published is disrespect or ugliness. God bless you, and thank you so much for stopping by!