Thursday, June 12, 2014

Book Review:: The Very Thought of You



This was another one that caught my eye with a pretty cover.  I had no idea what it was about when I bought it...but I was intrigued by the vintage suitcase with the "Eden" sticker.  Okay, so I don't have the most scientific means of selecting my reading material...what are ya gonna do?  I've had fairly good luck with my method, so I don't see any reason to change.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this was somewhat of an historical novel.  It's set at the beginning of WWII, and documents one family's decision to evacuate their daughter to an estate outside of their hometown of London during the war to protect her from the eventual bombings that would come.  Eight year old Anna finds herself on the sweeping estate owned by the Ashtons, a childless couple whose love for one another has become strained and complicated in their barrenness.  Anna unintentionally becomes intertwined in several circumstances that children should not witness, which combined with the tragedies and length of the war, steal bits of her childhood from her.

Many parts of this novel are just sad, for lack of a better word.  Other elements are very redeeming; the saving grace that is love spurs the characters on toward happiness despite their surroundings.  Anna's character is so strong and loyal, urging you to hope for her best.  The Ashtons will break your heart into pieces as you witness the miserable disintegration of what could've been a beautiful, long life together.  As with all wars, senselessness abounds in the lives of all involved.  I found this to be an eye-opening story about love...true love, broken love, unconditional and conditional love, blind love, confused love....and the way that love binds us to one another.  Definitely worth the read!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! All comments are moderated. Differences of opinion are just as welcome as those more like-minded. The only thing that will prevent a comment from being published is disrespect or ugliness. God bless you, and thank you so much for stopping by!