Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Scavenger Hunt

It's spring break, and the weather is spectacular!  So the boy and I headed back to our new favorite place, Oxley Nature Center at Mohawk Park.  This time, we met some friends there for a picnic and scavenger hunt!  I let my inner nature geek out a little and put together this list, complete with my attempts at drawings of each item, and made copies for each of the kiddos.  I made the list based upon my memory of the last visit and what we saw that day, but there are so many more things we could've added to the list!  When we found something neat that wasn't on the list, we just wrote it on the back of the page.

It ain't pretty, and this is a scanned copy, but you're welcome to it if you'd like to use it!  And if you're going to be at Oxley, the nature guides actually made copies of this to pass out to kids!
And they're off!

We found a ton of items to check off of the list right away!

I think we were all pretty excited about the warm sunshine.

We may not have seen any frogs, but this little spot was deafening with the sound of them singing!

Just one of the dozens of critter paw-prints we found.  I suspect this was a dog...way too big for a coyote.

There were things to explore everywhere!

Seed pod...one of several varieties we found.

We were a little dubious that we'd find a flower, but lo and behold, there they were.

Another seed pod.

An elevated observation platform gave us a gorgeous view of a little lake filled with geese and pelicans.

A flock of pelicans!  Those things were huge!

Cattails...or bulrushes if you prefer.

Marking off another find

Turtle.  I forgot to put turtle on the list.  Silly me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! All comments are moderated. Differences of opinion are just as welcome as those more like-minded. The only thing that will prevent a comment from being published is disrespect or ugliness. God bless you, and thank you so much for stopping by!