Friday, February 14, 2014

Spicy Lentil Curry Stew

I know that I say this often, but this recipe was totally made up on the fly one day when I desperately wanted something other than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch.  That day, I made a single serving size with the random stuff I had in the pantry and fridge.  I liked it so much, that I made it a couple of times a week for quite awhile.  Several months later, we didn't have any other meals to make, so I made a giant pot of this, and Jason loved it.  So, now it's on the rotation.

Not only is this really good as a soup, but I love draining the broth from the lentils and veggies and adding it to some rice on a tortilla as a wrap.  Or serving it over a bed of saffron rice.  And it'd be ridiculously awesome in a bread bowl.

Two other reasons I love it:  it's CHEAP, and it's FAST.  Okay, three reasons: it only dirties up one dish.

1 32oz box chicken broth (I recommend low-sodium)
skinless, boneless frozen chicken thigh strips...as much as you want...I *think* I use about a pound
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup dried lentils
1 cup chopped carrots
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium potato, cubed
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2-3 ribs celery, chopped
1 tub Knorr concentrated low-sodium chicken stock
1 tbsp red curry powder
a dash, like seriously, a tiny sprinkle, of ground red pepper.  Unless you want to burn your esophagus, then add more to taste.

Okay, are you ready for this...?  Just put it ALL in the pot, bring to a boil, then lower heat to keep at a steady simmer for about 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through and veggies and lentils are tender.  I cover the pot while it's simmering, and stir it occasionally.  If your chicken is in big chunks, you can fish them out and chop them into bite-sized pieces.  

This makes about four big bowls full, and they end up being around 25-30 carbs per bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! All comments are moderated. Differences of opinion are just as welcome as those more like-minded. The only thing that will prevent a comment from being published is disrespect or ugliness. God bless you, and thank you so much for stopping by!