Sunday, February 9, 2014

House Cleaning Schedule and Checklists

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually love cleaning.  I love a good before and after.  I like the sense of satisfaction I get when I start with a total mess and end with organized, sparkly bliss.  I do not, however, like spending every single day of my life in the pursuit of order and perfection.

Back in the days before motherhood, I would tackle my house once every couple of weeks or so, scrubbing from top to bottom, front to back.  And it stayed that way for the most part with little to no maintenance necessary.  Um, now that I have Pooh Bear, I can completely tackle the entire house and two hours later it looks like a bomb went off.   I think that a pin on pinterest said it best: "cleaning your house while your kids are home is like brushing your teeth while eating an Oreo."

I cannot live in perpetual maid-dom.  So, a couple of years ago, I came up with a weekly schedule that breaks the deep cleaning into reasonable chunks that I can accomplish in about an hour or less each day.  And so long as I am disciplined and stick to the schedule, my house stays in good shape, and I don't get burnt out on housework.  Bonus: it makes the 15-minute dash when someone's coming over unexpectedly so much more convincing!

The following chart is my schedule that works for me.  Everyone's homes and families are different, so this may not be even remotely helpful to some of you, but at least it's a starting point to create your own schedule.  Also, it should be noted that this schedule is for deep cleaning, and that not included on this chart are the menial little tasks that get done every single day....emptying full trash cans, cleaning up after meals, doing a load of dishes, picking up toys and clutter from around the house, wiping down counters, etc.

Also, I understand that some of you don't just have one child...you have two or three...or nine.  So use the lists that are coming up below to dole out smaller jobs that they can handle!  There's nothing that says that YOU have to do it all by yourself!

For consistency's sake, I've created a checklist for each of these five major areas so that I can feel super awesome about myself when I tick off each individual item of tediousness.  I know this might look like a super OCD thing to do, but seriously, I love checking items off of the lists as they're completed.  I think that being a stay-at-home mom can sometimes make one feel like you've worked all day but you have no idea what you've actually done...so a totally crossed-off list is deeply rewarding...and offers proof of "what you did all day."  You're more than welcome to copy and print any of these lists for yourself!

And lest anyone think I'm a lunatic, some of the items on these checklists are only done once a week or as needed.  For example, though I clean my bedroom twice a week, I only change my sheets on Mondays.  






 

So, there it is.  My compulsive habits on display for all of the world to see.  But, hey, it works for me.  And if it helps someone else to break the daunting task of housework into smaller, more manageable chunks, then it was worth sharing.  I'd love to hear any of your best practices that help you to maintain your homes!

2 comments:

  1. Your weekly cleaning chart is the two S's on the band KISS...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To the organized mind, yes. I know it's simple and isn't breaking any new ground, but that's why I shared it. Sometimes all an overwhelmed Mama needs is a really easy starting point, and once she's got it, everything else falls into place. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Have a wonderful, blessed day!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! All comments are moderated. Differences of opinion are just as welcome as those more like-minded. The only thing that will prevent a comment from being published is disrespect or ugliness. God bless you, and thank you so much for stopping by!