Saturday, January 25, 2014

Stacked Mexican Casserole

Admittedly, I'm not a food photographer.  Plus, I'm way more concerned with how things taste than how they look.  So, forgive the homely appearance and horrible photography.  Trust me, it's delicious.
*see addendum below for an alternate version of this recipe...like I've said before, I rarely make the same thing the same way twice, and I liked the second version even better!
1 lb hamburger
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained  
olive oil
1 yellow pepper, chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup salsa verde
1 cup frozen corn
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
About a dozen corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese (I use fiesta blend), divided

Preheat oven to 375.

In one skillet, brown hamburger meat with onions until cooked through.  Drain grease.  Add black beans and cilantro, heating through.

Meanwhile, in another skillet, cook yellow pepper and garlic in olive oil (about 1-2 tbsp) until pepper is tender.  Add salsa, corn, and cumin and chili powder.  Simmer until heated through.

In greased baking dish (2qt), line bottom with torn corn tortillas.  Add meat & bean mixture to dish.  Evenly spread one cup of shredded cheese on top.  Cover with another layer of torn corn tortillas.  Add corn & pepper mixture.  Cover evenly with remaining cheese.

Bake, covered loosely with foil, for about 15 minutes until cooked through and cheese is melted.   Serve as is, or add a dollop of sour cream.

If divided into four equal servings, each serving is about 40 carbs.

ADDENDUM::
 Because I wasn't sure how well this reheats, I used a loaf pan and only used half of each mixture.  That way, I could rebuild the casserole the next evening anew...and not have to hope it reheats well.  Well, this evening when we had round two, I added something that made it even better!
After the first layer (bottom layer of tortillas, plus meat mixture, cheese, & second layer of tortillas), I added half a can of refried beans, seasoned with about a tbsp or two of taco seasoning.  I heated them up in the microwave to make them easily spreadable, and made an even layer of them.  Then I spread the pepper/corn mixture on top of that and added the remaining cheese.  HOLY MOLY, so delicious.  In the future, I'll probably omit the black beans and make it this way from now on (replacing the beans will keep the carb count about the same per serving instead of elevating it).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! All comments are moderated. Differences of opinion are just as welcome as those more like-minded. The only thing that will prevent a comment from being published is disrespect or ugliness. God bless you, and thank you so much for stopping by!