Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chicken Potato Soup


I know I can't be the only person who sometimes starts throwing random ingredients into a pot, all the while crossing my fingers hoping it turns out edible...?  I get bored with the same old dinners.  So sometimes, I just pretend to be Julia Childs and whip up total randomness.  This is one such dinner, and it was DELICIOUS!

As I've mentioned before, I'm all about not using a lot of dishes.  So this one only took the one pot...plus the chopping board and knife.

2 tbsp olive oil
about 1 lb frozen boneless, skinless chicken thigh strips (I just make a single layer that covers the entire bottom of the stock pot)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 32oz box chicken broth
1 cup chopped carrots
3-4 ribs celery, sliced
1 cup frozen corn
1 medium potato, cubed
1 can cream of chicken soup + 1 can water
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp celery salt
2-3 tbsp instant potato flakes (up to you...to desired thickness)

In large soup pot, cook chicken and onions in olive oil until onions are tender, turning chicken strips as needed.  Add broth and all vegetables.  Bring to boil, then lower temp and simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender.  Remove chicken strips and cut into bite-sized pieces, then return to pot. Add soup plus water, and season with salt & pepper and celery salt.  Heat through until simmering again.  Add potato flakes slowly, one tbsp at a time, until desired thickness is obtained.

For us, this makes four equal servings that are around 35 carbs each. 

1 comment:

  1. I bet you could alter this slightly and make it in the crock pot :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! All comments are moderated. Differences of opinion are just as welcome as those more like-minded. The only thing that will prevent a comment from being published is disrespect or ugliness. God bless you, and thank you so much for stopping by!